Un-Real!

Monday, April 11, 2011

What's Justice got to do with it?

The view outside my window in the village I stayed one night. This is the Mekong River and across is Laos!!!
This village is fighting against a potential dam being built down stream that would affect their cultural way of life.

Throughout our unit trips we visit village communities who have been struggling to retain their culture and their rights. We have repeatedly heard stories where injustices are committed against the people. In the land unit I learned about the government arresting villagers for trespassing or global warming when villagers thought they were simply farming on land they have farmed for generations. In this past water unit, we learned how the government built large-scale dams for development. These dams took away the livelihoods and culture of the people who survived by the river resources. The government never provided adequate compensation.

We have exchanged with some government offices to understand their perspective. Frequently their explanation shows the stark disconnect between the government and the villagers. Policies either don’t make sense or they are not carried out to actually protect or help the people. They are often motivated by money gains.

Learning about these cases has helped me come to a better definition of what is injustice. I think injustices are cases that cannot be rationalized nor logically explained. Here, I have learned about many injustices; situations where the government acts against the people causing harmful effects that make little sense. When I cannot rationally understand why a government is acting the way it is, it makes me empathize more with the people or cause. By understanding what is unjust, I can recognize what issues I believe are important.


Some pictures from my last trip


Stage 1 -Planting Rice calf deep in mud water! yum


Stage 2- learning how to harvest rice

Dressed in traditional Issan (northeast) platooms (sarong like skirts) holding the cutest child I wish I could adopt

No comments:

Post a Comment