Un-Real!

Monday, April 11, 2011

If money had no value...



I've already submitted the adoption papers for this girl!!

At this moment, I think happiness is realizing that you are doing exactly what you want to be doing. There are many things you can get out of a study abroad experience but for me, a few weeks ago I realized that every opportunity and activity I am doing here is exactly where I want to be and what I want to be doing. I can't imaginea better environment for myself at this moment where I can learn in a new and creative way, make deep connections with people (both locals and fellow students), learn about issues I care about and finally, gain a better understanding of the world and my role in it.

Last week, my group had an exchange with Pawh Somkiat, a village leader protesting the Pak Mun Dam. He talked about how government development projects are problematic, often trying to change theculture and way of life of local villagers. Locals are very sustainable. They have a lot of natural resources around their community and they don't need money. Nature is their supermarket. Until a few years ago theyhad no electricity but easily survived. And the bottom line of it all was that these locals are happy!
Posing with Pawh Somkiat--whata baller! right?

No comments:

Post a Comment