Un-Real!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Crossing the Language Barrier

This is the article I wrote that will be submitted to the program newsletter. The newsletter goes to study abroad advisors, family and prospective students.

Crossing the Language Barrier

At my dentist’s office back home, there is a repeating quote on the wallpaper in multiple languages saying, “A smile is the same in all languages.” Like language, a smile is a form of communication. Coming to Thailand where I do not speak the native language, language seems like a barrier to communication. So what does it mean to communicate when you can’t share the same language? How do you do it?

This past week at our first school home stay, I was faced with my first language immersion challenge. In my family I had 2 nong sow (little sisters), 2 nong chai (little brothers) and a yai (grandmother) and none of them spoke English. I wanted to ask so many questions to find out about their family and their way of life but I didn’t know how to ask. While I could say some sentences in Thai to them, I could rarely understand what they said to me. After one week of Thai language class, I was still a novice. Sometimes I just shrugged and said "mai kao djai," meaning "I don't understand" and I’d flash a pearly white smile across my face.

The first night, I sat there in silence. The kids were watching a Thai stand up comedian on TV doing a sketch on lady boys (men who dress as women). While I didn’t catch a word he said, I understood the jist because of the lipstick he put on, the high heel shoes he wore and his feminine mannerisms. This comedian didn’t just use his words to communicate, but he used his whole body. I realized that communication is not about the words spoken but the actions and personality expressed.

So what to do when verbal language fails? The rest of the week, my lack of Thai didn't stop me from joking around and playing with the kids. We did yoga together, played volley ball, listened to Thai and American music and looked at pictures. We cracked jokes together through eye contact and winks, pointing and dancing. The kids loved studying my Thai language books with me because there was no English required.

I felt welcomed even though we never used words to communicate endearment to each other. When I left, the grandma gave me a warm hug and smile and tied a piece of string around my wrist, a custom and symbol for wishing good luck and happiness. I think they said I was welcomed to come back, but maybe some things do get lost in translation. Either way, it helped me understand how non-verbal communication allows our personalities to shine and for laughter to sound louder than words could ever speak.

Before I left home, my friend referred to Thailand as the “Land of Smiles.” It is not just Thais who flash their teeth but us farangs (foreigners) too. Lately my cheeks have been hurting from smiling so much because when you have no words to say sometimes, your beaming eyes say it all.” I’m glad I had myteeth cleaned before I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment