Un-Real!

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Let the travels begin

Hi friends!

I arrived yesterday in Bangkok after a 24 hour journey and I am so excited to start this semester! I had a layover in Dubai which in itself was cool. There is a Coldstone creamery (ice cream) in the Dubai airport. Ahh, globalization. I also thought I was in mini model UN with so many people of different cultures represented at the airport.

I arrived early Wednesday morning and had the day to walk around tourist-ville Bangkok with other girls who arrived early before our proram started. I had my $5 pedicure, $2 foot massage and $5 Indian food feast. Things are really cheap!

Our program started this morning. I'm sure many of you are wondering what the heck I'm doing in Thailand and why did I choose here. This program is unlike any other study abroad program that any of my friends have or are experiencing. I'll elaborate as the semester goes on. But for starters, the four themes of our program are development, globalization, human rights and grassroots movements. This education is experiential learning so I won't be sitting in a classroom all the time. I'll be visiting villages, having homestays in communities, learning Thai language and more. The people are great so far. We all have basically the same major in school (environmental studies/international studies) and similar interests. Tomorrow I'm off to the royal palace and temple and hearing from a local journalist on the political situation in Thailand.


PS I am currently writing this blog from the Chabad center in Bangkok. It is located literally across the street from my hotel. Coincedence? I think not. It's actually like mini Israel in here and I've only heard hebrew spoken. There is a kosher restaurant downstairs. Last night there was a Tu B'shvat seder so I came by and celebrated by eating tropical fruits. I'll come back for shabbat services tomorrow night! I must get my Jew fix before I leave Bangkok where there will not be any Jews.

1 comment: